Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Wife Rule #34: We Are Family

I have only known about Hser Nay Moo for a little over a day. She is the seven-year-old daughter of refugees from Burma, and is the latest subject of an Amber Alert, sent out to inform the public of a potentially abducted child.

People in the apartment complex and surrounding community joined in the search. Police on the case became emotionally involved and refused to go home, searching through the night. And many more, countless thousands, perhaps millions, prayed for Hser Nay Moo's safe return.

Last night, a little more than 24 hours after she was reported missing, the police found her body in the apartment of a neighbor, a tragic end to a frantic search. The news reports have used words such as "sorrow" and "outrage" to express the feelings of neighbors and community members. In truth, no words can describe how they feel--how we all feel.

Today life goes on in usual manner for most of us: working, playing, and attending school. But I want the parents of Hser Nay Moo to know that this really isn't a normal day for us. Though we never knew you, or your daughter, we don't just take this in stride.

When I awoke this morning, I joined the thousands who are praying for you to find peace and comfort. When I sent my six- and eight-year-old daugters off to school today, I held them a little longer. When I drove to work this morning and heard the latest news reports about your tragedy, I cried in my car for you and offered up prayers again.

We are all children of our Heavenly Father. We are all family. Your tremendous loss in some small way is also my loss, because even though I don't know you, I know that your daughter is as precious as my daughters, and your grief is just as great as the grief would be of my wife and I.

I'm so sorry for your loss. We will all be praying for you.

No comments: